You can make a difference in the future of children and families.
This one year certificate program provides you with the credentials to work in institutions or children's programs at the childhood level from birth to age twelve. The program focuses on key areas of childhood growth and development, diverse abilities, program strategies, building and sustaining strong rapport between children and their families, and professionalism in the workplace. This program is offered online and incorporates practical learning experiences.
Graduates of the Early Learning and Child Care Certificate program are prepared to work effectively with children and their families in preschool programs, daycares, day homes, Head Start Programs and other agencies providing services and support to children from birth to age twelve.
Textbooks & Supplies
Early Learning & Child Care and Educational Assistant Booklet
- Grade 12 or equivalent including;
- English 30-1 or 30-2 (30 or 33)
- A score of 12.9 on Nelson Denny Test (if less than 60% in English 30/33 or English 30-1 or 30-2)
- Math 10C or 10-3, Math 10 (Applied or Pure), Math 10 or 13
- High school transcript
- Criminal Record Check, Child Youth Information System Document (formally CWIS) Alberta Child and Youth Services
- Please refer to the following link for minimum technical requirements on our Moodle page
Practicum locations vary. Students may be required to travel to practicum sites and are responsible for arranging their own transportation, accommodation, and childcare.
Transferable to the 2nd year Portage College Early Learning and Child Care Diploma Program. Some courses are transferable to the Portage College Educational Assistant Program. Transferability to other provincial colleges is available. 30 credit block transfer to the Athabasca University BPA program.