Our program is taught by highly experienced health professionals and combines online theory, onsite practical labs and clinical training. You will develop the specific knowledge and skills to effectively and safely administer emergency medical assistance to patients with injuries or illnesses, and to transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further treatment. You will be able to put your new found skill set into practice during two placements under the supervision of qualified preceptors.
The program is designed to prepare you by providing education in the areas of anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, assessment, treatment, differential/provisional diagnosis, critical thinking skills, communications, physical fitness, safety, and professionalism. In addition to these core components, you will take a Professional Driving course, Pediatric Emergency Care (PEPP) course, Geriatric Education for Medical Services (GEMS), International Trauma Life Support (ITLS), a Self Defense course, NRP, TDG, WHMIS, and ALS Assist. Students attend a total of 10 on-site training weeks in addition to the field placements during the 37 weeks of training.
In order to practice as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) in Alberta, you must hold current registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics. After successfully completing the PCP program you will be eligible to complete the Provincial Registration Examination and become a registered practitioner with the Alberta College of Paramedics. Information pertaining to the provincial exam costs, schedules and membership fees can be found on the Alberta College of Paramedics website.
Textbooks & Supplies
Forms & Documents
Primary Care Paramedic graduates may be employed in rural or uban ambulance services, in various industrial settings or with municipal fire departments.
- Biology 30 with minimum 60%
- English 30 or 30-1 with minimum 60% OR English 33 or 30-2 with minimum 70%
- Math 20 pure or Math 20-1 with minimum 50% OR Math 20-2 minimum 60%
- Chemistry 30 strongly recommended
Other Requirements & Documents:
- Minimum age 18
- Registered Unrestriced EMR with Alberta College of Paramedic (ACP)
- CPR certificate for Health Care Provider or Level C (issued within six months of course start date)
- Photocopy of current Class 4 Alberta driver's license OR Portage College Waiver form
- Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Must attend mandatory selection day
- Apple IPad for use with Comp-tracker program used for placement competency tracking, please contact the program for details before purchase
- Please refer to the following link for Moodle minimum technical requirements: Moodle page.
- ESL - ALL students whose first language is not English must meet one of the following:
IELTS Academic Format with minimum scores as follows: Listening 7.5; Reading 6.5; Writing 7.0; Speaking 7.0.
TOEFL iBT (internet Based) with minimum test scores as follows: Listening 23; Reading 21; Writing 25; Speaking 22.
Note: Testing must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program
For those interested in pursuing a career as an Advanced Care Paramedic, registration as a PCP with the Alberta College of Paramedics is a prerequisite for acceptance into Advanced Care Paramedic program.