This program is taught by highly experienced health professionals and combines online theory, onsite practical labs, professional driving and clinical training. You will develop the specific knowledge and skills to effectively and safely administer emergency medical assistance to patients with injuries or illnesses.
You will begin your program by attending an orientation in Lac La Biche. Learning continues with asynchronous, paced, online learning and ongoing support from your instructor. You will attend a total of 12 days of onsite lab sessions interspersed throughout the first 16 weeks. During the final lab session you will perform a final simulation evaluation and a written examination prior to your clinical placement. An additional four weeks will be provided in order for you to complete your clinical placement.
Graduates are eligible to write the Provincial Registration Examination and become a registered practitioner with the Alberta College of Paramedics which is required to practice as an EMR in Alberta. Information pertaining to the provincial exam costs, schedules and membership fees can be found on the Alberta College of Paramedics website.
Textbooks & Supplies
Forms & Documents
Registered EMRs may be employed in ground ambulances, clinics, fire services, and industrial settings.
- Biology 30 with minimum 60%
- English 30 or 30-1 with minimum 60% OR English 33 or 30-2 with minimum 70%
- Math 20 pure or Math 20-1 with minimum 50% OR Math 20-2 minimum 60%
- Chemistry 30 strongly recommended
Other Requirements & Documents:
- Minimum age 18
- Standard First Aid Certificate (issued within one year of program start date)
- CPR certificate for Health Care Provider or Level C (issued within six months of program start date)
- Class 5 Alberta driver's license (not a GDL) and a signed waiver stating understanding of employment requirements for a Class 4 license for some employers
- Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search (issued within 3 months of program start date)
- Signed Police Information Check waiver form
- Signed Immunization form
- Signed Immunization and Placement Disclosure waiver form
- Signed Health Status form
- Please refer to the following link for Moodle minimum technical requirements: Moodle page.
- ESL - ALL students whose first language is not English must meet one of the following:
IELTS Academic Format with minimum scores as follows: Listening 7.5; Reading 6.5; Writing 7.0; Speaking 7.0.
TOEFL iBT (internet Based) with minimum test scores as follows: Listening 23; Reading 21; Writing 25; Speaking 22.
Note: Testing must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program
Registration as an EMR with the Alberta College of Paramedics is a pre-requisite for Primary Care Paramedic.