This two-year diploma program is delivered in two formats; onsite and blended delivery. The onsite program is offered each year at the Cold Lake Campus, year one and two run consecutively. The blended delivery program is offered every second year and is available at the Lac La Biche and St. Paul Campus. Year one is scheduled to start August 24, 2017. Both formats are identical in content.
Our program emphasizes collaboration, health promotion and family-centered nursing. You will be equipped with the skills and knowledge required to work in a wide variety of health care settings, both rural and urban. Our enthusiastic, experienced instructors incorporate individual learning needs and imaginative, innovative classroom and lab experiences. As a graduate you'll be eligible to write the national licensing examination administered through the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta.
Textbooks & Supplies
Forms & Documents
Graduates will be eligible for jobs in acute care hospitals, continuing care centres, community care settings, client homes, or doctor's offices. Practical Nurses earn approximately $25.93 - $33.95 per hour.
Year 1: N/A
Year 2: Diploma
Year 1: A High School Diploma is Recommended:
- Biology 30 with Minimum 60%
- English 30 or 30-1 with Minimum 60% OR English 33 or 30-2 with Minimum 70%
- Math 20 Pure or Math 20-1 with Minimum 50% OR Math 20-2 with Minimum 60%
- Chemistry 30 is strongly recommended
Other admission requirements include:
- Minimum age of 18 prior to first practicum placement
- Copy of Heart & Stroke Level C Certificate within six months of program start date
- Current Signed Immunization Record - To be completed prior to Clinical Placement
- Signed Health Status Questionnaire
- Police Information Check & Vulnerable Sector Search - To be completed prior to Clinical Placement
- Please click the following link for: minimum technical requirements for Moodle site.
- ESL - ALL students whose first language is not English must meet one of the following:
IELTS Academic Format with minimum scores as follows: Listening 7.5; Reading 6.5; Writing 7.0; Speaking 7.0.
TOEFL iBT (internet Based) with minimum test scores as follows: Listening 23; Reading 21; Writing 25; Speaking 22.
CELBAN, with a minimum test score as follows: Listening 10; Reading 8; Writing 7; Speaking 7
Note: Testing must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program
Year 2: Completion of Year 1 nursing courses. Students new to the program must provide a Police Information Check & Vulnerable Sector Search
1. April 3, 2017 - May 5, 2017
1. November 21, 2016 to December 16, 2016
2. March 6, 2017 to March 31, 2017
3. April 3, 2017 to May 19, 2017
The Practical Nurse diploma will be considered for admission to Bachelor of Applied Human Service Administration program at Grant MacEwan University. Currently Post LPN degree in nursing programs are available through the following institution: Athabasca University Minimum 25% Residency Requirement for Graduation. The following Portage College courses are transferable to and from University Studies; BIOL230 - Anatomy I, BIOL231/2 - Physiology I/II, ENGL102 - Intro Composition, HEED105 - Health Education, PSYC104 - Intro Psychology and SOCI101 - Intro to Sociology.
Think you might have courses similar? Check this site Alberta Government Link for agreements.