Military Student

Portage College has partnered with the Canadian Armed Forces to provide CAF members and veterans with flexible learning opportunities and supports for transitioning to civilian life. Portage College is committed to helping CAF members apply their skills to achieve their educational goals.

With a proud history of working with the Canadian Armed Forces, Portage College is pleased to support credential recognition that honours their military training,

- Don Moore, Associate Vice President Academic

Military FAQ

Military-connected individuals have a direct link with the Canadian Armed Forces or the military of their home nation. Military-connected students may identify as:

  • Current serving members of the Regular Force
  • Current serving members of the Reserve Component
  • Veterans
  • Department of National Defence – Civil Servant
  • Immediate Family of CAF member or Veteran
  • Foreign Military Veteran

We have many programs to choose from with certificate, diploma and degree options. Our Student Advisors are here to help you with your decision. We have several areas of interest that may interest you such as:

Military-connected students could be entitled to credit for your military record and experience. Your knowledge and skills gained through experience will be evaluated to assess if credit can be granted. In order to apply to have your miliary record reviewed for PLAR for a Portage College program, please submit your MPRR to our academic advisor.

Interested in seeing how your military trade qualification applies  Alberta certification? For more information, please review AIT’s recognized trade credentials equivalencies here (link to and contact your local AIT office. (link to

Military-connected individuals can expect a high standard of support and service from qualified college personnel.

Here are some of the activities we can help you with:

  • Academic advising
  • Counselling and wellness
  • IT & Moodle help
  • Scholarships, awards and bursaries
  • Student learning services
  • Transfer arrangements

Funding Opportunities

If you are thinking of attending college after your career in the military, you may qualify for financial help through the Education and Training Benefit program.


Support our Troops administers the National Scholarship Program, operating within Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services. This program awards scholarships to eligible dependents and the spouses of serving or former CAF members.

If you are the child of a deceased Veteran or Canadian Armed Forces member, you may qualify for funding to help. The Government of Canada provides tax-free financial support to a student enrolled in a full-time post-secondary education program.

Flight Sergeant Erlyn E. Kirby Memorial Bursary. This bursary is for descendants of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for Canada. If the ultimate sacrifice was not made, active duty may be considered.

Portage College has scholarships, awards and bursaries available for students. To qualify students must be registered in, or have successfully graduated from a program and fulfil specific requirements. 

Military-connected individuals wishing to speak with someone from the Canadian Armed Forces about their educational options can contact their Personnel Selection Officer.

At Portage College, the contact for military-connected students is Alexandra Nixon. She can be reached at (780) 639-7109.

We acknowledge that Portage College’s service region is on the traditional lands of First Nation Peoples, the owners of Treaty 6, 8 and 10, which are also homelands to the Métis people. We honour the history and culture of all people who first lived and gathered in these lands.
Facebook Instagram Linkedin RSS Twitter YouTube TikTok